- Online Renewals
- Motor Vehicle Information
- Boat Registration
- Hunting and Fishing Licenses
- Trailer Registration
- Business Licenses
- Marriage Licenses
- Notary Public
- County Commission Information
- Commission Minutes
- Hours and Holidays
- Contact Us
NOTICE: WHEEL TAX CHANGES APPROVED BY THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY COMMISSION
Wheel Tax Increase
Effective September 1, 2017, the Montgomery County Wheel Tax will increase to $49.00.
Effective July 13, 2017, the non-resident military Wheel Tax exemption will be limited to one (1) per active duty member annually. An End of Month LES, dated within the last ninety (90) days, must be presented for exemption.
NOTICE: VEHICLE REGISTRATION FEE INCREASE, EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2017
Public Chapter 181 increases the cost to register a vehicle and includes an electric vehicle registration fee beginning July 1, 2017.
Registration Fee Increases
The cost to register a passenger (personal) vehicle and/or motorcycle
will increase by $5. The cost to register a commercial vehicle used for
hire to transport passengers (buses, taxis) will increase by $10. The
cost to register commercial and freight motor vehicles/trailers (Heavy
Highway, Semi, etc.) will increase by a minimum of $20.
Electric Vehicle Registration Fee
The registration fee for electric vehicles will be $100. The electric vehicle registration fee is in addition to the standard registration fee.
Registration renewal notices, issued by the State of Tennessee, will reflect the new fee increase beginning in July.
For more information, visit www.tn.gov/revenue. Click on Revenue Help to search for answers or to submit an information request to one of the agents.
NOTICE: TN DEPT. OF REVENUE INSURANCE VERIFICATION SYSTEM
Effective January 2017, a new Insurance Verification System will be launched by the Tennessee Department of Revenue. Drivers are advised to verify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on their registration and insurance card is correct. Insurance companies will report required policy information to the Department of Revenue. Drivers will not be required to submit proof of insurance unless the verification process does not confirm insurance coverage.
- The fees for a new title and license plate are $94.00 (plus $4.00 if mailing the plate and documentation to the customer).
- Transfer of license plate and application for title is $19.50 (plus $2.00 if mailing the documentation to the customer). The registration of the plate and the new title must be in the same name(s).
- If noting a lien, an additional $11.00 fee will apply.
- If an individual purchases a vehicle from a Tennessee dealer, sales tax is paid to the dealer; otherwise the sales tax is paid to the County Clerk's office. Calculate Sales Tax and Fees
- If an individual purchases a vehicle from a private party, sales tax is paid to the County Clerk's office at the time of registration. Calculate Sales Tax and Fees. If the purchase price is less than 75% of the NADA clean trade-in value, an Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfers (low price or gift form) can be submitted at the time of registration and sales tax will be collected based on the purchase price. If the affidavit is not submitted at the time of registration, your paperwork may be audited by the State of Tennessee, Department of Revenue's Audit Division, and additional taxes or documentation may be required.
- If an individual purchases or receives a vehicle as a gift from a lineal relative, an Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfers (low price or gift form), completed by the seller(s) and buyer(s), is required at the time of registration for sales tax exemption. A lineal relative is defined as a spouse, sibling, child, grandchild, great grandchild, parent, grandparent, great grandparent, and spouse of lineal relative.
- Replacement titles for current Montgomery County registered vehicles can be obtained by the owner at our office. The replacement fee is $16.00.
- A donation to promote Organ Donor Awareness is optional.
- State of Tennessee Vehicle Services