- If you throw one aluminum can out, the energy wasted by not
recycling is equivalent to filling the same can 1/2 full of gasoline and
pouring it out.
- Enough aluminum is thrown away each year to rebuild the entire U.S. Commercial air fleet every three months.
- There is only one job in the trash industry for every four in the recycling industry. Why? It takes more people to make new products.
- A plastic or styrofoam cup used for a few minutes takes approximately 400 years to decompose.
- It takes 17 trees to make one ton of paper. Paper products
consume 35% of the world's commercial wood harvest. This figure is
expected to increase to 50% by the year 2000.
- It requires 64% less energy (kWh) to produce paper from waste paper than virgin wood pulp.
- 74% less air pollution is produced from the manufacturing of recycled paper compared to paper from virgin wood pulp.
- Recycled paper uses 58% less water compared to virgin paper production.
- About 27% of America's paper waste is being recycled. It's
estimated that at the current rate of recycling over 200 million trees
are saved each year.
- Approximately 41 billion glass containers are produced in the United States each year.
- A paper bag can return to soil in just seven days.
- Over 40% of all U.S. municipal solid waste consists of paper and paperboard products.
- The U.S. annually uses over 75 million tons of paper and
paperboard - about 600 pounds per person - and we currently recycle
about 20 million tons.
- Americans receive almost 4 million tons of junk mail each year.
- About 44% of junk mail is never opened.
- In one year Americans throw away 28 billion recyclable glass bottles and jars.
- Beverage cans are the biggest single use of aluminum.
- Recycling uses 90% less energy than making new aluminum.
- It takes 30-60% less energy to make "new" paper from "old" paper, and 95% less air pollution.
- One (1) gallon of spilled gasoline can contaminate approximately 750,000 gallons of water.
- The average U.S. office worker generates 1 1/3 pounds of office waste paper every daily.
- Lead-acid batteries are the most recycled products in the United
States. The break down is as follows: 98% Lead Batteries, 65% Aluminum
Cans, 37% Glass Bottles, and 59% Newspapers.
- One acre of Christmas trees produces the daily oxygen requirements for 18 people.
- The United States has approximately 1 million acres of Christmas
trees. This means that Christmas trees provide oxygen for 18 million
people every day.
- News papers typically can be recycled five to seven times. Each
time they are recycled, their fibers become shortened. Eventually, they
become too short to make good paper.
- Americans buy about 65 million newspapers every day.
- Nearly six of every 10 U.S. newspapers are recycled.
- It takes 17 trees, on average, to produce one ton of paper.
- Producing paper from recycled paper reduces air and water pollution by 50%.
- Recycling one ton of paper saves 7,000 gallons of water and 4,100 kilowatt hours of electricity.
- Steel is the most recycled material in North America. In 1996, the overall steel recycling rate was about 65%.
- About 3 billion aerosol containers are manufactured and sold in
the U.S. annually. If all of those cans were recycled that would be
enough steel to manufacture 160,000 cars.